Earth Friendly Hostess Gifts
In September I attended the annual fundraising event for Surfrider Foundation – an organization that’s doing all it can to save the world’s oceans from pollution—no easy task. We go every year since Surfrider Foundation is run by our close friend, Chad Nelson, but this year the message really hit home and I keep thinking about what I can do to lessen my “footprint”.
- Adia Planter – Each piece is handcrafted by a group of 15 woodworkers in the Nakawa region of Uganda, made exclusively in a fair trade environment. In the spirit of sustainability, the cooperative replants trees to replenish this precious resource for future generations.
- Stone Washed Cocktail Napkins – Super soft 12″ x 12″ stone washed linens with frayed edges. Made by Creative Women which is a fair trade home + lifestyle brand. They are long-term partners with talented artisans in Ethiopia, Guatemala, and Kenya who work in women-led small businesses. By developing healthy, sustainable, and profitable partnerships, they are able to bring artisinal handcrafted pieces to a global market.
- La Gritona Reposado Tequila – Made from mature agave cultivated at the height of it’s sugar production, it is baked within 24 hours of being cut, spends 24 hours in earthen ovens, and is rested for 24 hours before crushing. It is naturally fermented, twice distilled, and rested in reused American whiskey barrels for 8 months. Bottles are hand blown with recycled glass in Guadalajara.
- The Kinfolk Home: Interiors for Slow Living – The Kinfolk Home takes readers inside 35 homes around the world, from the United States, Scandinavia, Japan, and beyond. What all of these spaces have in common is that they’ve been put together carefully, slowly, and with great intention.
- Murchison Hume Dish Soap – this beautifully fragranced natural dish soap is non toxic, made in the USA, 100% cruelty free with no harsh chemicals such as Ammonia, Bleach, Dye, Formaldehyde, Parabens, & Phthalates.
Earth Friendly Holiday Gifts for Her
- Bario-Neal Jewelry – Ethically-sourced metals & stones, fair trade gold, environmentally sustainable jewelry.
- Cuyana V Neck Sweater– Each piece is made with integrity and kindness from the highest-quality materials, and created by skilled craftsmen throughout Europe, South America, China, and the United States.
- Misty Leggings – Among Prana’s sustainability initiatives are to use organic cotton, recycled wool, and responsible down.
- OY-L – Honey Oil Facewash. OY-L is committed to “beauty without secrets,” OY-L is a zero chemical brand, but also no animal testing and they donate 15 percent of certain products to Dysautonomia International. And bonus points for clean (in design and ethical practices) packaging.
- Waxed Canvas Tote – Handmade of organic and salvaged canvas, hemp rope handles. Each bag is made to order.
- Amor Jumpsuit – Reformation makes their pieces from sustainable materials, rescued deadstock fabrics, and repurposed vintage clothing. As they grow, their goal is to push harder to create more sustainable fabric options.
Earth Friendly Holiday Gifts for Him
- Aloe Oatmeal Dead Sea Soap – This soap soothes, detoxes, exfoliates, and locks in moisture and is made with organic, toxin free, preservative-free, derivative-free and fragrance free ingredients.
- Patagonia Wetsuit – Made with neoprene-free 85% Yulex® natural rubber/15% synthetic rubber (by polymer content) that meets Patagonia’s rigorous standards for performance, durability, warmth and sustainability; the natural rubber is derived from sources that are Forest Stewardship Council® certified by the Rainforest Alliance; the synthetic rubber is chlorine-free.
- Atlas Dress Socks – The Ministry of Supply is reducing waste through responsible manufacturing and they seek out manufacturing opportunities that keep their environmental footprint as small as possible. For example, 3D Print-Knit reduces waste by over 30% by eliminating cutting scraps.
- The Transparent Speaker – This company has an ambitious goal to change the polluting and wasteful consumer product industry towards a sustainable, closed-loop system. The high quality construction of the speaker is completely modular, which means all parts can be individually replaced, updated, repaired or recycled.
- Turntable – Has a sustainable solid bamboo plinth, and a base wrapped in eco-friendly REWIND™ fabric.
- Backpack – Eco-friendly backpack made in Colorado
Earth Friendly Holiday Gifts for Kids
- Portable Speaker – House of Marley products are crafted from mindfully sourced materials including bamboo, FSC™ certified wood, recycled aluminum, plastic and fabrics.
- Crayons – Non-toxic materials 100% recycled and recyclable crayons.
- iPhone Case – Beautifully designed and eco-friendly, Pela cases are the world’s first truly sustainable phone case. 100% compostable! Pela is proud to partner with Surfrider Foundation, a community of everyday people working passionately to protect our oceans and beaches, by giving back 5% from the sale of each of their cases.
- Skateboard – 44-Inch artisan longboard made from beautiful bamboo, designed in Los Angeles for a strikingly vintage California look.
- Patagonia Jacket – made of 100% recycled polyester.
- Sweatshirt – Crafted with sustainable materials & processes, including organic & recycled materials, low-impact dyes & water-conserving washes.
Earth Friendly Holiday Gifts for Dogs
- Dog Bed – This handsome, durable dog bed is made from a jute-polyester blend that’s both eco-friendly and mildew resistant. The dog bed cover is preshrunk and machine washable.
- Rope Bone Toy – This toy by Harry Barker is made of recycled cotton and azo-free dyes.