It’s not quite a Polar Vortex, but it’s been really cold – relatively speaking – in Los Angeles. I’m enjoying having more of a winter season than usual so I’m not complaining, and it’s been a great excuse to spend more time around our fireplace.
Fireplaces are sometimes overlooked as purely utilitarian, when in actuality, a fireplace mantel, screen and all the accessories that go along with it, can be the beautiful focal point of a room. Whether your house is modern, traditional, rustic or something in between, there’s no shortage of screens, tools, baskets and match strikers to choose from.
Keep these tips in mind when shopping for your fireplace:
- Be Cohesive – your fireplace should compliment the rest of your home, not compete with it. So, if your house is modern, select an understated screen and streamlined tools.
- Create Contrast – a leather or woven log holder will add warmth to a minimalist interior, while a modern holder can be a great contrast in a more ornate room.
- Balance – make sure you don’t create too much clutter, a few stylish accessories will make a big statement.
Play with Scale – oversized logs can make a great statement in a diminutive fireplace.
- Play with Scale – oversized logs can make a great statement in a diminutive fireplace.
- Remember – Fireplace tools are both decorative and practical so select items that create beauty while serving a purpose too.